Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Lisa Camarda

Sophomore Lisa Camarda recently had the type of week that all soccer players dream about. Twice in the span of six days she scored the winning goal as Scotch Plains Fanwood (SPF) High School defeated two previously unbeaten teams.

While such accomplishments usually anoint the performer with celebrity status at their high school the day after, that wasn’t the case for Camarda. In fact her exploits were barely noticed at her high school, Union County Magnet High School (UCMHS).

Also located in Scotch Plains, the UCMHS is a school that focuses on math, science, and technology. All students within Union County are eligible for application. In order to get in a student must submit their transcripts from seventh and eighth grade, their standardized testing scores, and also must take an entrance exam specifically made for UCMHS. Only about five people from each town are accepted each year.

Because there are currently no athletic teams at the UCMHS, students who are proficient at a sport are allowed to play their sport of choice for the high school located in the town they reside in. While there are two other UCMHS students, playing jayvee soccer and one playing tennis at Scotch Plains, Camarda is still a bit of an anomaly at her school.

“Most of the students are aware of my athletic ability and those who don’t know my name just call me soccer girl,” said Camarda.

“The teachers are aware because sometimes I would wear my uniform or warm-up jacket to class. For example, one day I was sitting in the hallway and a teacher stopped me because she saw that my jacket said SPF Varsity Girls Soccer. She was amazed because she had heard of the success of my team and was impressed that I was a part of it. “

UCMHS Principal Jim Stefankiewicz is naturally pleased with his athletically talented students.

“I think that it is great that so many of our students are involved in
sports. The Fitness teachers at the Magnet do a wonderful job of
inspiring students to excel in both academic and physical pursuits. The
relationship that we have with the other districts of Union County is
unique, all parties working together to provide great opportunities for
children. That is what education is all about,” said Stefankiewicz

While Camarda has flourished in the intense academic atmosphere of UCMHS, maintaining a straight “A” average, her adjustment to the equally competitive Raiders’ soccer team was complicated by attending a different high school with a longer school day.

While SPFHS students are dismissed at 2:24, the UCMHS day doesn’t end until 2:50...Since soccer practice also starts at that time, Camarda has to perform a quick change that would make any triathlete proud. As soon as class ends she goes to her locker to get everything she needs and then rushes to the bathroom to get changed. Then her mother picks her up and she puts on her shin guards and cleats on in the car. She arrives at practice about 25 minutes late and usually wind up running by herself to make up for what she missed, eventually joining up for the latter part of practice.

Despite the obstacles, Camarda has become an integral part of the Raiders, who finished the season with a 17-3-2 record and advanced to the state sectional finals. Against Union Catholic Camarda broke a 1-1 tie in the second half when she out jumped several defenders for Kelly Rigano’s perfectly placed free kick and headed it directly into the goal near the far post. The Raiders would add two more goals for a 4-1 win.

“I've always been good at directing the ball with my head, either to my teammates or to the back of the net. I've worked hard in practice on making my headers a pass rather than just deflecting it back up in the air, “said Camarda.
“I'm 5'6" but feel that I need to work on getting more height out of my jumps.”

But her biggest goal may have come against Bridgewater Raritan which came into the game undefeated and ranked seventh in the state and had also handed the Raiders one of their three losses a year ago. Moments after a controversial goal was taken away from Bridgewater, Camarda made a well timed run and found herself unmarked in front of the goal where Jessie Sapienza passed her the ball and Camarda shot the ball in the net opposite of where the goalie was positioned. The Raiders would go on to win 2-0 against a Bridgewater team that was comprised of numerous ex club teammates of Camarda.
“That gave me extra incentive to play well,” said Camarda.


Despite playing mostly on defense and midfield Camarda has scored five goals this year after tallying four goals a year ago with more limited playing time.
“I really love playing the Stopper position. I find it to be the most challenging position on the field, and when supported by great teammates, scoring goals just comes with the territory.”

Camarda was a pleasant surprise for Coach Kevin Ewing last year. Having attended St. Bartholomew in Scotch Plains, a school without soccer pushed Camarda under the radar screen before her freshman year.
“The SPF coaches really didn’t know anything about me until tryouts. St. Bartholomew didn’t have a team for me to play on so I was at a big disadvantage because, while playing for their middle school teams, the other freshman had plenty of exposure with the high school coaches ,” said Camarda.

“I knew that I had to make up for lost time and prove myself to the coaches as well as the players.”

While unknown to the coaches, Camarda felt comfortable with fellow freshmen Allie Zazzali, Allie Hambleton, and Lauren Weisbrod, who had all been teammates with Camarda on several club teams.

“Having played together with Allie (Zazzali) for years, we work very well together. We respect each other’s capabilities and there’s a lot of spoken, or unspoken, communication between us.”

“Over the years, I also played with them, and against them, on other higher-level club teams. Therefore, I knew that I could play head-to-head with them. I just needed to gain the confidence of the coaches,” said Camarda.

Camarda established her penchant for scoring big goals as a freshman. Entering a scoreless game against highly rated Delaware Valley midway through the first half, Camarda scored the only goal of the game with a bullet left footed shot from eighteen yards between the post and the goalie’s outstretched arm.

“Freshman year was a very difficult time for me. Just starting out at a very competitive high school, not attending the high school you are play for, and not being fully part of the freshman crew you grew up with,” said Camarda.

“However, my parents always told me to be patient, work hard, and work smart. They reassured me that good players don’t sit for too long and that things you work hard for bring greater rewards

Despite her success at conquering two diverse worlds Camarda wishes there was a way to get closer to her teammates.

“Yes, there are some times that I would like to be taking classes with my teammates, especially in the off-season when we don’t get a chance to see each other as much. We get along great and I think that it would strengthen my relationship with them,” said Camarda.

Camarda cautions that UCMHS isn’t for everybody
“It would really depend on what the student was interested in pursuing for their career goals because UCMHS is based around science, math, and technology. The Magnet is more advanced academically then any other high schools in NJ. However, SPFHS also has a very good academic program as well. Therefore, it really comes down to personal preference.”


The success of athletes like Camarda and the needs of students for athletic outlets have resulted in a new intramural program for The Union County Vocational-Technical High Schools, of which there are
three,” We are starting with intramural basketball and volleyball and seeing where it goes from there.” said Stefankiewicz.

Someday soon, Camarda hopes to perform in front of her classmates.
“None of them have attended my games because they all take the buses home to different towns throughout the county. If it were more convenient many of them have told me that they were interested in watching me play. “

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home